‘Gay Conversion’ – A hidden underworld practice that seeks to turn us from our sinful homosexual ways towards the way of repentance.
All correct except not so ‘underworld.’
Willowfield Church in Belfast will host their own form of ‘Gay Conversion’ through a ‘Living Out Local’ course due to be held on March 8th.
The criteria for attending the event is very strict.
We require all those who attend the course to assent to the Evangelical Alliance basis of faith and their affirmations of biblical and pastoral response to Homosexuality. These can be found here: http://www.eauk.org/connect/about-us/basis-of-faith.cfm and here: http://www.eauk.org/church/resources/theological-articles/resources-for-church-leaders-biblical-and-pastoral-responses-to-homosexuality.cfm *
There are 10 statements one must concur with before being eligible to attend. I have selected my two favourites.
I assent to the Evangelical Alliance basis of faith and their affirmations of biblical and pastoral response to Homosexuality
8. We welcome and support the work of those individuals and organisations who responsibly seek to help Christians who experience same-sex attraction as in conflict with their commitment to live in accordance with biblical teaching. This help will involve counsel and pastoral support to live a chaste life and, as part of this process, some may seek and experience changes in the strength or direction of their same-sex attractions.
10. We encourage evangelical congregations to welcome and accept sexually active lesbians and gay men. However, they should do so in the expectation that they, like all of us who are living outside God’s purposes, will come in due course to see the need to be transformed and live in accordance with biblical revelation and orthodox church teaching. We urge gentleness, patience and ongoing pastoral care during this process and after a person renounces same-sex sexual relations.
Although hidden behind the banner of ‘inclusivity’ in essence ‘Living Out Local’ appears to believe:
1. Same sex attraction is forbidden according to God’s word.
Indeed in Leviticus 18:22 we read, ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.’
God said it so it must be true.
Can we take a look at what else God said before jumping to any conclusions?
1 Timothy 2:12, ‘I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent.’
Silence women, what have you been told?
1 Samuel 15:3, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says … ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’
There’s a word for this God, GENOCIDE.
Exodus 22:18: ‘Do not allow a sorceress to live.’
Someone find me Hermione Granger, she’s a goner.
1 Peter 2:18: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.”
Ephesians 5:22, ‘Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.’
Come on women, God really shouldn’t have to tell you twice!
Deuteronomy 22:28-29, ‘If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days.’
Perhaps the most disturbing..
2. Counsel and pastoral care will support us to live a chaste lifestyle.
Perhaps there will be some ‘Pray away the Gay’ sessions.
Our Father, I really fancy Father Paddy, I think it’s the dog collar, he’s just so handsome and I swear he flirted with me last week at confession. Also when he talks about eating the body, he gives me eye contact and I don’t know if he’s thinking the same thing as me. Anyway, I need to stop thinking about what’s under his robe. Any help would be great.
3. There is hope, we may come to renounce our Same-Sex relations.
Homophobic rhetoric like this could be the reason that between 5% – 10% of Lesbian, Gay or Bisexual youth attempt suicide.
Dress it up however you like, this is Conversion Therapy.
Thankfully social media users have not taken too kindly to the advertisement of the event. Some of the comments read:
What an awful course indeed
Nope. Just nope.
Change ‘Same Sex attraction’ to love and you’re left scratching your head to what they are trying to fix.
Disgusting course for disgusting people. I’m straight and I would rather die than sit in a room with you.
See for yourself